About Browse Search awards Search companies Search buildings Home
Additional ImagesThis structure has 2 additional images. Click to see them.
Name & LocationGeorge Brown House
50 Baldwin Street
Toronto, Chinatown
Other IdentificationProject:
Institutional affiliation:
Alternate names: Lambton Lodge
NotesFrom the Ontario Heritage website: Originally named Lambton Lodge, the house was built for George Brown, a successful businessman, his wife Anne and their three children. Duncan Coulson, president of the Bank of Toronto occupied the house from 1889 to 1916 with his wife Eliza and three children. The Coulsons remodeled the dining room in an Art Nouveau style. Following Coulson's death, a three-storey school for the blind was built at the back of the house. This house was used as office space for the Canadian National Institute for the Blind from 1920 to 1956. A school for developmentally-challenged children later took its place until it was demolished in 1984. The replacement school now wraps respectfully around the restored George Brown House property.

This house is now a National Historic Site.

Quote
StatusCompleted
Year Completed1876
CompaniesThe following companies are associated with this building (click on company name for links to buildings):


  • Architect : William Irving

  • Architect : John M. Lyle Responsible for 1920 addition.

  • Click for Google Map
    Height and Building Data 
    Floors3
    Height (m)0.00
    Building typeDetached house
    General useOffice
    Specific Use
    Former Use 
    HeritageNational Historic Site
    Main StyleSecond empire
    SourcesThis building has 4 sources. Click to see them.

    Home   |   Search buildings   |   Search companies   |   Search awards   |   Browse   |   About

     

    Ó 2010 Bob Krawczyk -- All rights reserved